Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Bad Behavior

My granny is a member of not less than five women groups. Her house sometimes serves as a venue for their groups. At such times the rest of the household has to look for refuge elsewhere.
One time I hang around and after taking a bath I entered through the back door into the bedroom. I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, but they were discussing some interesting topic. I took my time to change. One of members owed some money to the group and she hadn’t showed up for that meeting so they were planning to ambush her! They planned a date….. I continued to listen, as another issue came up. The previous meeting had been held in another member’s house, she had hidden the firewood out of their sight. She was therefore warned against that, otherwise she’d be axed! - She’d be de-registered. I was biting on a finger so as not to laugh.
Later, I asked granny how they ‘ambushed’ inconsistent members. She explained that they simply plan a date, and every one carries a load of ‘maboco’- dry bean plants. These they use to make a very big smoky fire outside the compound of the one who owes them money, “then everyone will know she has done something wrong.” We also do that when a member gossips about the workings of the group and we get wind of it.” He hee heee!... no pity!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home