Monday, May 28, 2007

Tattooing Dogs

‘Stop the car!Stop the car!.’I was shouting.while all the while staring at the man open mouthed.Well,in my head.All that was coming from my mouth was funny shrieks and ‘oh my God!Oh my God!I can’t believe it.’
The man had just told me he was Luvai’s son.
If you went through the Kenyan Education system,you must know the poetry collection,Boundless Voices by Author.A.Luvai ,Professor.
My friend Evelyn is a nurse.She has a cousin who is a vet,and he buys us lunch a couple of times.We are leeches alright, but, well you know, we are always broke,and it’s not even from buying clothes or pearls. Mine I guess is from all those note books I keep buying-have you ever set free a child in the candy section of the supermarket?Same result you get when I set foot into a book store.Eva likes to go on trips and buy expensive,quality yogurt .
Dr.Luvai had promised to buy us lunch yesterday.But first had a few calls to make.A cow belonging to his friend had given birth,and he needed to tattoo another man’s dogs in Ngong.When I head about the tattooing,I had images of fierce ,grim faced dogs with tattoos on their thighs reading-Snoop doggy ,Jua Kali,Ngummo-Or similarly tough names.So I was crossing my fingers that he takes us for the drive with him.He did,we didn’t have anything better to do anyway.It was long drive and along the way,I mentioned a reading I attended on Saturday,,he knows I write,but not in detail.
When I tell people I’m a student of Business Administration then say,but I am a writer,actually.Many don’t hear the latter part,or just don’t take me seriously.
‘So you must read a lot yeah?’He asked.
Then he said,‘Actually,I also used to read a lot,my father is a lecturer in literature.’
‘Huh?’I huhed.
‘He has published a book,Boundless Voices.’
‘What’s his name?’
‘Author Luvai.’
‘Author .A.Luvai!’
‘Aha,’
‘Get serious.’
Then I started my screaming.I have been so ignorant.Where else did I ever her the name Luvai.So that was it.As we drove through Karen,Lavington,Jamu, I came to learn of this great man whose poetry I read all through and after high school.I was thrilled.He then told me about other writers he knows closely,like John Ruganda{Burdens}Francis Imbuga{Shrine of Tears},Ngugi wa Thiongo{Secret Lives and Other Stories}.
When we reached Ngong,even the dog tattooing ceremony couldn’t excite me more than I already was.But now I know they get numbers,issued by the Kennel Club,not crazy drawings after their idols.
I also got to see the Ngong hills in the setting sun and loved it,even as much as I still think The Abedares are the grandest ranges of all.
From now on,I think I will stop judging books by their covers.
Luvai, the vet,also told me a funny story about this lady who came crying to the Vet clinic.She had an ice cream container with her.
‘So I took it and was expecting to see a cat or a bird.But a chameleon!I almost dropped it.It had these frightened eyes and horns sticking out,,{shiver}.It had been attacked by a cat and couldn’t be treated.So we put it to sleep.’
‘She could have just let the cat eat it. Si you charge to put them to sleep ?’I asked, restraining laughter.
‘Well,but you know a pet becomes like a child…’
‘No way,a reptile doesn’t count as a pet.’

I t was great,the drive and now I look forward to meet this great poet,some day,if only to say-I have read your poems sir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home