Monday, April 02, 2007

Robinson Island Part 3:I Shall Return

We were Guddy's guests On16th and 17th March 2007.
After the planting we waded through sea water to get into the Island,and .Man oh Man,,,,excellent beauty started to open up.
We rested a bit,then had luch,and a swim,until late.
At night we had a choice of sleeping place. Some choose to sleep on the sand with a mosquito net hang from a tree branch tucked into the sand.Others simply sprayed mosquito repellant on themselves and slept besides a bonfire. Others slept in the cabins. In the morning we woke up to watch the sunrise over the ocean.Meanwhile, the crabs kept us entertained with their gimmicks. Running out of the water, then the water drugs them back and it goes on forever .That’s a funny way to spend the day aai, even if its weight you wan’ shed …………
Anyway. The sun came out. Brilliant orange with copper reflection on the water.I sighed and sighed.
Then we went back to sleep…taking a nap at the coast was as easy as blinking. In Nairobi, sleep always requires to be seduced , at least for me
When we finally got into a boat to take us to the mainland , I felt sad, but not deep sadness. Just the kind of sadness you feel like when you have to leave bed in the morning? You know you will return in the evening so it’s just a matter of time. It was a dream come true. To go to an island. I had to fight very hard within myself, not to go on my knees and beg Guddy .
-Please let me stay- I’ll do anything, I’ll carry the manure, I’ll wash you feet, I’ll rake the entire island two times a week…..don’t let me go-
I’m grateful, to all who made the experience possible. Guddy and Friday’s Ark for having us , Ben for his good people skills and good organization , Omari for his great culinary skill and calm nature, Matse for tempting us enough to try the island we even had tickets ( you’ll love it, woo, with the sunrise and little crabs coming out ,,,,,for your poetry….) Thanks. But you said there’d be black Mambas,I saw none. Rehema , who gave us an enthusiastic tour of the island .The crew, for being patient with habitual latecomers and Katsaras, you made it possible, untied my knots.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home