Thursday, February 01, 2007

Don't Get Married Lizzie

These plum trees were planted for you
The fire place stones set for you.
See the orange tree, pruned for you
This house was made for you

Don’t compare us lizzie.
I am adopted
My place is borrowed
I’m only for a moment.

The house I love I’ll leave
The animals will be fed by another
My days on this hill will cease
Banished to uncertainty.

You don’t love the house, why?
The animals scurry away from you
You stay is unhurried ,indefinite,
Why do you grow impatient?

Among these conditions remain,
Under this roof ne’er depart
To welcome your brother’s wives be
To sooth the lil’ ‘uns to sleep.

The bean plot your own
The master bed, the family duvet too,
This is your family
If only we could change places.

You are first place here
A husband, your firstborn
They are selling you to a man
They are ,to cook and clean.

Don’t get married Lizzie.
To the village on the hill
Why get married Lizzie?
Should you though, good will.

March5th 2006
{I wrote this when a friend called me and told me-I’m getting married in April-
Why?Are you sure?How come?I asked.
She said she had found-the one-
The bit about cooking and cleaning,,,,well that’s just-words.Not my sentiments exactly.I respect wifely duties and have no arguments concerning it}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home