Friday, November 24, 2006

Wambui Muguruki

My uncle’s son, Munyeki was a rascal growing up. I remember one time cucu{my gran} was cleaning his feet and he kept stumping his free foot in the basin every five seconds, splashing cucu all over with muddy water. Cucu was scolding him telling him-Munyeki ningukurumia, I’ll give you a beating, Munyeki.
He had just come from muururiko,visiting neighbors.
I was cooking.
He threw me a glance and smiled. Then he started to sing:
Cucu witu nimuuru na ni mwega,
aciarire Wambui muguruki,
athuragia,nyumba,ikainaina.
.{Our grandmother is good and bad,
she gave birth to crazy Wambui,
who farts until the house trembles}
So cucu was like ignoring his song completely, saying nothing.
He increased the volume and me,out of embarrassment,{he had began to make farting sounds-pipi and ndurururu} asked him-who taught you that bad song?
He paused and said-didn’t I hear you and Irungu{my other cousin}Singing?
Cringe!
While all along I had been pretending to be a perfect lady in cucu’s eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home